Literacy Center Ideas:
- Letter H mini-book (included)
- Letter h worksheets (included)
- Harold and the Purple Crayon Activities (included)
- Little Red Hen Activities (included)
- Letter H Activity Packet (Included w/ Harold and purple crayon)
All of the activities included above can be bought in our store/(You may use your account funds to pay for these lessons!)
Story Time Ideas:
- Again we have some great stories to be able to compare/contrast –but, we also need to continue to work on comprehension to make sure that the students are understanding what they are reading or what is being read to them. Reading is magic when it makes sense and children understand! There is a reading comprehension little mini-book in the Little Red Hen Activity pack.
- We have 3 versions (and you can find more!) of the Little Red Hen story that can be read and compared… many different characters, endings, things that are made, etc).
Writing Center Ideas:
- Harold and the Purple Crayon is a great story for writing and drawing prompts! Help the students create a story using their imagination (or, remember something that actually happened.) They can draw and write out their thoughts.
- Sing/Do…If you are Happy and you know it…
- Handwriting! Practice, practice! (Included)
- Take a chair and put the chair sideways…show how the back of the chair, connected to the seat, looks like an h. Then, job over to the chair and show how tired you are by making the h sound…H, H, H, H.. (breathing hard). This is a trick to teach the h and the h sound that my mother would use in her classroom!
- Another way to practice the letter sound is to use a clear plastic cup or some glass dishes…have the students clean the club by breathing the “h” sound and having it steam up and then wiping it clean. Make sure you practice on the cup or object you want to make sure you can get it to steam so that the students can see and hear and feel that letter h sound.
- Make a list of letter h words
- Make popcorn hop in a jar of water: add baking soda and vinegar to the water and the kernals hop! (Fun science experiment!) How long will it last?