Literacy Center Ideas:
- Letter O mini-book (included)
- Letter O worksheets (included)
- CVC Mini Book- Short O (Included)
- Letter O Mini Book (included)
- Octopus Activities (included)
- Letter O lesson plan activities (included ) (Includes octopus and Oliver activities)
- Spot and Dot the Letter O
All of the activities included above can be bought in our store/(You may use your account funds to pay for these lessons!)
Story Time Ideas:
- Read Oliver, and Octopus is Amazing and My Very Own Octopus and do the activities that correspond with those books: For An Octopus is Amazing, talk about nonfiction books. Do a KWL, and Can, Has, Is activity as you learn about octopi. You can also watch youtube videos on Octopus and write about all that you learn!
- For My Very Own Octopus, have the student imagine what life would be like if they had an octopus. Do a writing prompt (included) once the children brainstorm and talk about their ideas.
- Read Oliver by Syd Hoff and and talk about character, setting and plot. What happens in the beginning, middle, end? (Activities included in the Letter O activity pack.
Writing Center Ideas:
- Continue talking and working on plot –what happens in the beginning, middle, end. Make a chart to outline what happens and have students write about this.
- Creative write about what it would be like to won an octopus.
- Work on good sentence formation, and then building sentences to form a paragraph.
- For the short letter O, tell each student that the sound the short O makes is like when you go to the Doctor’s office and he says Open up and say Ooooooo. The students can practice/pretend one is a doctor and the other says oooooo.
- Glue cheerio “o” onto a plate
- Do this Octopus Craft: http://www.sightandsoundreading.com/craft-to-teach-short-o-sound/ – you can do it for the short o sound, or just O words or find pictures from a magazine that being with O and paste them onto it.
- Make a necklace by lacing Os
- Create a picture from in the shape of an O using buttons or Os –have the student put a picture inside the circle.
- Make Owl fingerprint craft
- Cut/decorate an octagon
- Make an ocean scene
- Make a list of letter O words together